EX W. KEITH NEAL COLLECTION
A MOST UNUSUAL 18-BORE FLINTLOCK DOUBLE-BARRELLED SPORTING-GUN CONVERTED BY S.& C. SMITH,
various serial numbers, the 31 1/2in. browned twist barrels signed 'JOSEPH MANTON, HANNOVER SQUARE LONDON' (refreshed) originally from a tubelock dated 1820, serial numbered '8791' maker marked 'C.L.' for Charles Lancaster and numbered for '1' of a pair, the matching number colour hardened breech-blocks with platinum line and touch-holes, the top of both breeches inlet with a rectangular poincon signed 'W. PARSON, SWAFFHAM', fully borderline and scroll engraved top-tang, high quality borderline and scroll engraved locks signed 'SAML. & C. SMITH PRINCES ST. LONDON' and numbered '3470 PATENT' & '3471 PATENT' respectively, the frizzens marked '3471 & '3472' and border engraved. special cranked rainproof pans, the cocks with checkerboard engraving and engraved squared jaws (right top jaw and screw replaced), chequered walnut half-stock with leather cheek-piece (some drying and cracking to leather), iron furniture including chequered heel-plate, the top spur decorated with black game, trigger guard bow engraved with pointers, the lower tang numbered '617' and marked for '1' of a pair, flush fitting barrel key, gold oval engraved with a dragon's head and the motto 'TOUTS JOURS PREST' and no provision for ramrod, retaining its original W Keith Neal collection medallion.
Provenance: Previously sold Christies, 'The Keith Neal Collection' 25th October 2001, Lot 87.
Ex property of the celebrated shot Sir Richard Sutton, 2nd Bt. (1798-1855) and sold by the Estate of the Late Sir Richard V. Sutton, Bart., Benham Park, Newbury via Farebrother, Ellis & Co 7-11 May 1951 (purchased by the well known dealer Sidney Charles Scamell of Salisbury)
Sir Richard Sutton also owned Lyndford Hall in Norfolk, a residence only about 12 Miles from Swaffham. It is possible the breech-ends were renewed 'in emergency' by William Parson, being the nearest available gunmaker at the time
This gun is mentioned on page 271 of Neal & Back's book 'The Mantons' where it suggests that the conversion work was carried out in 1843 by Smith as out of all the 'best' London gunmakers available, Smith persevered with flintlock the longest
Please click HERE to view Terms & Conditions.