A FINE BRASS-CORNERED OAK AND LEATHER DOUBLE RIFLE CASE CONVERTED FOR USE WITH A SHOTGUN,
built originally to house a .303 double rifle, serial no. 15669, now converted to accept 30in. barrels (would adapt to 31in.) and re-lined throughout in dark blue baize, fully blocked and fitted for a 12-bore shotgun with its full complement of accessories, also containing loose reproduction labels, the exterior of gently patinated leather with central brass lock (key extant) and brass side-clips, the lid bearing a blank circular escutcheon and impressed above with the monogram 'J. K-H.', a contemporary Holland & Holland storage label to one end indicating previous ownership by the Duke of Wellington
Provenance: Records suggest that the case, and the .303 double rifle, once belonged to Arthur Wellesley, 5th Duke of Wellington who was born 9th June 1876. He was the son of Arthur Charles Wellesley, the 4th Duke and Kathleen Bulkeley Williams.
He was schooled at Eton before going up to Trinity College, Cambridge. He then joined the Grenadier Guards and fought in both Boer Wars and later, the Great War. The vendor kindly informs us that he took his double rifle to war with him and used it to great effect.
Wellesley succeeded to the Dukedom in 1934 on the death of his father. At some point the rifle and case were passed to Wellesley's eldest son, the Marquess of Douro, as indicated on the end label. The Douro estates in Spain were given to the Duke of Wellington on grateful recognition of his defeat of Napoleon at Waterloo in 1815.