A 20-BORE PERCUSSION BRASS-BARRELLED BLUNDERBUSS FOR CASTLE McGARRETT, reg. no. MA1131,
circa 1790 with later conversion to percussion via drum and nipple, 14 1/2in. octagonal to round barrel banded at the intersection and with banded cannon muzzle, the top-flat at breech signed 'DUBLIN' (rubbed), plain solid iron top-tang, iron lock signed 'McDERMOTT' in script (some mild pitting), plain slab-sided hammer, walnut full-stock with exposed muzzle, brass furniture (heel-plate dented), the trigger-guard tang engraved 'CASTLE McGARRETT' and probable replacement brass tipped wood ramrod
Other Notes: Castle McGarrett was the family seat of the Browne Family for nearly 300 years and was constructed near an earlier castle close to the Robe River in Co. Mayo. The house was substantially rebuilt in the early 20th century with fine neo-classical drawing rooms. Used as a nursing home for most of the 20th century it was extensively added to but sadly is now vacant and currently resides on a list of buildings at risk in Ireland as it now urgently requires new uses to prevent further deterioration of its character.
Please click HERE to view Terms & Conditions.