BOSS & CO.
A PAIR OF 12-BORE SINGLE-TRIGGER EASY-OPENING SIDELOCK EJECTORS, serial no. 6585 / 6,
28in. nitro barrels (No.1 barrels replacement, No.2 barrels lined), rib engravings worn, the breech ends gold-inlaid '1' and '2', 2 1/2in. chambers, bored approx. 1/4 choke in all, toplevers gold-inlaid '1' and '2', automatic safeties with gold-inlaid 'SAFE' details, gold-inlaid cocking-indicators, Boss 1905 improved patent single-triggers, rolled-edge triggerguards, best fine acanthus scroll engraving with floral bouquets (No.2 engraving most likely refreshed in parts), retaining traces of original colour-hardening and finish, 15in. stocks (No.1 worn, No.2 replacement) including 7/8in. rubber recoil pads, fore-end woods with some wear, weight 6lb. 14oz. (No.1) 6lb. 12oz. (No.2), in their makers brass-cornered oak and leather case
Provenance: The makers have kindly confirmed that this pair of guns was completed in July 1919 for U.H.R. Broughton of the 1st Life Guards.
Research would indicate this to be Urban Huttleston Rogers Broughton (1896 - 1966), 1st Baron Fairhaven.
He was the son of Urban Hanlon Broughton, who made a fortune in the United States around the turn of the twentieth century from mining, railways, and sewer systems. His mother was Cara Leland Rogers Broughton (also born in Fairhaven, Massachusetts, in 1867), an American heiress and daughter of Abbie Gifford Rogers and Henry Huttleston Rogers, one of the world's wealthiest men.
Educated in America and at Harrow, Huttleston Broughton served in the 1st Life Guards during World War I, and, upon his father's death in 1929, he was granted the barony, named for his mother's beloved hometown, that had been destined for his father.
Baron Fairhaven, of Anglesey Abbey in the County of Cambridge, is a title in the Peerage of the United Kingdom. It was created in 1961 for Urban Huttleston Broughton, 1st Baron Fairhaven, with remainder to his younger brother, Henry Rogers Broughton (1900–1973). He had already been created Baron Fairhaven, of Lode in the County of Cambridge, in 1929, with remainder to the heirs male of his body.
The Broughton brothers bought the Anglesey Abbey estate in 1926 because its position, conveniently close to Newmarket, where they owned the Barton Stud, enabled them to indulge their interest in horseracing, while the surrounding countryside provided very good partridge shooting.
Much of the American fortune, which Lord Fairhaven inherited, was energetically deployed in the collection of works of art, and the abbey is now the permanent home of an outstandingly rich collection of furniture, pictures, and objets d'art. Fairhaven also laid out one of the largest British gardens of the 20th century. He left the abbey to the National Trust.
Please click HERE to view Terms & Conditions.
S2 - Sold as a Section 2 Firearm under the 1968 Firearms Act