A CASED PAIR OF 20-BORE FLINTLOCK 'QUEEN ANNE' PISTOLS, no visible serial numbers,
the butt-caps bearing Birmingham hallmarks for 1781, with banded turn-off 5 7/8in. barrels, cannon muzzles (one frozen), engraved breeches signed in a banner 'DAYKIN' (faint, erased on one pistol), makers marks and private proofs to underside of both breeches, rounded actions with recumbent 'L' shaped frizzen springs, smooth bulbous walnut butts with carved aprons around the top-tangs, silver grotesque masks, martial sideplates and escutcheons and trigger-guard bow safes, in a later fitted case lined in burgundy velvet (see notes below)
Other Notes: An applied plaque inside the lid of the case reads 'These pistols were left by Prince Charles Edward Stewart at Hartington Hall, Derbyshire in 1745. The residence of Sir Hugh Bateman, Bt. They were presented to Ronald E.H. Waring in December 1935 by his aunt, Mrs Lister-Kaye (formerly Mrs Sacheverell-Bateman), Lady of the Manor of Morley.'
Legend has it that Hartington Hall was the furthest south that Prince Charles Edward Stewart (aka. Bonnie Prince Charlie) came during the Scottish uprising of 1745, and for years the family genuinely believed that these pistols were left as a token of appreciation by the Prince for his rumoured overnight stay. Obviously this is not the case as the dates are wrong, but the pistols certainly resided in Hartington Hall for the best part of 150 years.
Please click HERE to view Terms & Conditions.