E. J. CHURCHILL
A PAIR OF 12-BORE 'PREMIER' SINGLE-TRIGGER PINLESS SIDELOCK EJECTORS, serial no. 1825 / 6,
30in. nitro chopperlump barrels, matt game ribs gold-inlaid '1' and '2' at the breech ends, tubes engraved 'E. J. CHURCHILL GUN & RIFLE MANUFACTURER. 8 AGAR ST. STRAND. LONDON. W.C.', 2 3/4in. chambers, bored approx. 1/4 choke in all, slender fences, toplevers gold-inlaid '1' and '2', automatic safeties with gold-inlaid 'SAFE' details, non-selective single triggers, profusely engraved with fine acanthus scrollwork, the undersides with 'PREMIER MODEL FINEST QUALITY' in an oval, bright and blued finish overall, 14in. figured replacement stocks, weight 6lb. 8oz., in their brass-cornered oak and leather case with some accessories
Provenance: The guns were built for Major Charles Robert Eustace Radclyffe of Foxdenton Hall in Lancashire and Hyde House in Dorset, and were completed circa 1910.
Radclyffe was a noted shot, stalker and fisherman (the first salmon to land to his fly was a thirty-three pounder caught on the Frome when he was not yet twenty), however as highly skilled austringer it was his love for falconry that took precedence of all other forms of sport.
Radclyffe led one of the first hunting expeditions to Alaska and kept detailed records of the game encountered (which included a male walrus taken with a double rifle). Following the expedition he stayed at The White House as Roosevelt's guest to debrief the American President on his trip and the two became quite well acquainted
Please click HERE to view Terms & Conditions.