J. PURDEY & SONS
A 12-BORE SELF-OPENING SIDELOCK EJECTOR, serial no. 20796,
30in. Whitworth-steel nitro chopperlump barrels, the rib engraved 'J. PURDEY & SONS. AUDLEY HOUSE. SOUTH AUDLEY STREET. LONDON. MADE OF SIR JOSEPH WHITWORTH'S FLUID PRESSED STEEL.', the breech end with '2', 2 1/2in. chambers, bored approx. imp. cyl. and 1/2 choke, self-opening action with removable striker discs, toplever engraved '2', automatic safety with gold-inlaid 'SAFE' detail, cocking-indicators, best fine acanthus scroll engraving with floral bouquets, the underside with an oval engraved 'J. PURDEY & SONS. LONDON.', retaining very slight traces of original colour-hardening, 15 3/4in. figured replacement stock, weight 7lb., in a brass-cornered oak and leather case with gold-tooled Purdey trade label and some accessories
Provenance: The makers have kindly confirmed that the gun was completed on the 24th October 1913 for 'Ebbinghaus' as No.2 of a pair of 12-bore hammerless non-ejector guns with 30in. Whitworth steel barrels and 14 9/16in. stocks. The 'Notes' section details 'Swivels for sling. No provision for ejectors'.
The makers also kindly inform us that the gun was purchased back by Purdey's in May 1920 and sold to a Colonel Colland - but taken back from him in December of the same year. It was subsequently sold to 'F. Guntum (?) in April 1921 and the stock lengthened in wood to 15 1/2in. Purchased back again and sold to the current vendor in December 1962, the stock altered to 15 5/8in.
There is no mention of the replacement stock in the records - or a date of conversion to ejector.
Please click HERE to view Terms & Conditions.