JOSEPH HARKOM, EDINBURGH
A FINE CASED 12-BORE PERCUSSION DOUBLE-BARRELLED SPORTING-GUN, serial no. 476,
for 1858, with 30in. damascus barrels, the top rib signed 'JOSEPH HARKOM, 32 PRINCES STREET EDINBURGH', platinum plugs, the breech engraved with a dog, silver protection plates under breech, finely engraved tang, Westley Richards wood bar locks engraved 'HARKOM' along with scrolls, dogs and gamebirds, figured pistol grip stock with crisp chequering at the hand and fore-end, gold shield shaped escutcheon engraved "CWC 1858", trigger guard with scroll engraving and dogs, engraved pistol grip cap and scroll engraved ramrod throat pipe, heel-plate engraved with game birds, original brass mounted rosewood ramrod, the entire gun in exceptional original condition (probably unfired) retaining much original finish together with its original pigskin lined oak case with leather outer stamped "CHARLES Wm. COWAN ESQ. 17 PRINCES STREET" and with a near complete complement of original accessories comprising two turnscrews, nipple wrench, two nipple cleaning tools, percussion cap dispenser signed Allport, cleaning rods, spare ramrod, leather covered powder flask signed Sykes, nipple key in kid leather pouch, three boxwood containers, nipple pricker signed Dixon, four steel shot chargers signed Sykes, two bone nipple pots, mainspring clamp and a quantity of Eley wire cartridges.
Provenance: This gun was completed in 1858 for Charles Cowan, a paper maker in Edinburgh. Charles Cowan was born in Edinburgh in 1801 and followed his father into the family paper making firm of Alexander Cowan & Son based in Penicuik just south of Edinburgh. He was MP for Edinburgh 1847-1859 and lived at Mount Grange House and later at Wester Lea House, both in Edinburgh. He died on the 29th March 1889. The Cowan paper mills were the largest in Scotland in the 19th century.
Please click HERE to view Terms & Conditions.