JNO. RIGBY & CO.
A 9.3X74R SIDELOCK EJECTOR DOUBLE RIFLE, serial no. 17794,
24in. replacement Bohler Rasant-steel nitro chopperlump barrels with file cut sight rib, unmarked open sights with single folding leaf sight with white metal sight line and marked for 300 yards, ramp-mounted bead fore-sight, the breech end mounted with a Zeiss Diavari-C 1,5...4,5x18 telescopic sight, serial no. 202580, in quickly-detachable mounts, the rib engraved in gothic script 'J. RIGBY & CO. 13 PALL MALL. LONDON. S.W.1.', the tubes engraved 'CALIBRE 9.3X74R M/M REGULATED FOR 285 GR.' and carved with bold acanthus detailing at the breech ends, treble-grip action with fluted leaf fences, removable striker discs, automatic safety with push button release and gold-inlaid 'SAFE' detail, dipped-edge lockplates with gold-inlaid cocking-indicators, bold border and acanthus scroll engraving, retaining much renewed colour-hardening and finish, 14 1/2in. highly-figured pistolgrip stock (cracked thorough at hand) with pistolgrip-cap, sling swivels and including 7/8in. rubber recoil pad, fore-end with grip catch release lever and Rigby patent ejector / non-ejector selector nut, weight 8lb. 10oz. (unscoped) and 9lb. 11oz. (with scope), in its leather case with some accessories (no provision for telescopic sight)
Provenance: The makers have kindly confirmed that this rifle was completed on 15th July 1913 as a .350 (No.2) best hammerless ejector with 26in. barrels and sold to a Capt. M.W. Portman for £67 /5s. It was then sold again in 1925 to Manton & Co. for £147
Please click HERE to view Terms & Conditions.
S1 - Sold as a Section 1 Firearm under the 1968 Firearms Act