A PAIR OF 12-BORE SIDELOCK EJECTORS, serial no. 4491 / 2,
30in. replacement nitro barrels No.1 (in 1969), and 30in. nitro reproved (in 1969) original Whitworth-steel chopperlump barrels No.2, the ribs spuriously engraved 'WILLIAM EVANS (FROM PURDYS) 63 PALL MALL, ST. JAMES'S, LONDON' (sic) and gold-inlaid '1' and '2' at the breech ends, No.1 gun with 2 3/4in. chambers, No.2 with 2 1/2in. chambers, bored approx. 1/4 and 1/2 (No.1) and true cyl. and 1/4 choke (No.2), treble-grip actions with carved leaf fences, toplevers gold-inlaid '1' and '2', automatic safeties with gold-inlaid 'SAFE' details, articulated front triggers, best fine bouquet and scroll engraving, brushed bright finish, 15 3/8in. figured stocks including 5/8in. ebonite extensions, replacement combs slight setting cracks to rear of lockplates), weight 6lb. 14oz.
Provenance: The makers have kindly confirmed that the guns were ordered on 4th May 1899 and were collected by Colonel Watson Kennedy later that year.
Research would indicate this to be Lt.-Col. Thomas Francis Archibald Watson-Kennedy (1856 - 1935).
He gained the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel in the service of the 1st Battalion, Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders, and lived at Wiveton Hall, Cley, Norfolk.
Please click HERE to view Terms & Conditions.