J. WOODWARD & SONS
A .303 CAL. 1876 PATENT 'THE AUTOMATIC' PUSH-FORWARD UNDERLEVER SIDELOCK NON-EJECTOR DOUBLE RIFLE, serial no. 5320,
28in. Whitworth-steel nitro chopperlump barrels with matt sight rib with a banner engraved in gothic script 'The Automatic', the tubes engraved 'JAMES WOODWARD & SONS. 64. ST. JAMES'S STREET. LONDON. S.W. MADE OF SIR JOSEPH WHITWORTH'S FLUID PRESSED STEEL', open sights with folding leaf sight with white metal sight-lines and marked for 100 and 200 yards, ramp-mounted fore-sight, T. Southgate and J. Woodward patent treble-grip action, arcaded side-clipped fences, removable striker discs, bolted manual tang safety with gold-inlaid 'S' and 'SAFE' details, protruding tumbler-pivots with gold-inlaid cocking-indicators, profusely engraved with fine acanthus scrollwork, the makers name engraved in elaborate cartouches, retaining some original colour-hardening, 15in. highly-figured Prince of Wales pistolgrip stock with cheekpiece, horn pistolgrip-cap, including 1in. rubber recoil pad (crack to left underhorn), rear sling eye removed, fore-end with grip-catch release lever engraved en suite, weight 8lb. 15oz.
Provenance: The makers have kindly confirmed that the rifle was completed in September 1899 for Lord Herbert Vane Tempest.
Lord Sir Herbert Lionel Henry Vane-Tempest (K.C.V.O., V.D.) (1862 - 1921) was the brother of the Marquess of Londonderry. He gained the rank of Major and Honorary Lieutenant-Colonel in the service of the Durham Artillery Volunteers, held the office of Justice of the Peace for Montgomeryshire and Merionethshire.
He lived at Plas Machynlleth, the family seat, and also served as Chairman of the Cambrian Railways, until he was killed in the Abermule train collision. The family gave the Plas to the townspeople after World War II.
Please click HERE to view Terms & Conditions.